YWAM’s Creative Justice Discipleship Training School is an experience of a lifetime. Make new friends... Travel the world... Encounter God in a new way... take part in missions... And find purpose as you minister with your art form.
The Creative Justice DTS is a 5 month long program created to strengthen your relationship with God while finding purpose in the fields of Art & Justice.
This school is open to all artists. Whether it’s music, dance, painting, fine arts, fashion, photography, or filmmaking you love, we have a place for you here! Also, there is no-prerequisite for this school. In other words, you don’t need to complete a ‘regular’ DTS in order to participate in this one. YWAM Toowoomba is part of the global Youth With A Mission network. See below for more information on our organization!
YOUTH WITH A MISSION
Youth With A Mission (YWAM, pronounced “WHY-wham”) was founded in 1960 with the goal of getting youth involved in missions. Youth With A Mission is a global movement of Christians dedicated to serving Jesus throughout the world. Though coming from many cultures, age groups, and Christian traditions, we unite with the common purpose to know God and make Him known.
YWAM has three branches: training, evangelism, and mercy ministry. Our Discipleship Training Schools fall under the training branch of YWAM, however over the course of outreach you will likely also participate in evangelism and mercy ministry – this could be anything from house visits with refugee families to busking on the streets to helping run local and international events.
In the early months of 2011 staff were sent out from YWAM Brisbane to pioneer a new ministry base in Toowoomba – the second largest inland city in Australia, with a focus on empowering those passionate about music ministry.
Now almost a decade later, YWAM Toowoomba has grown into a base dedicated to empowering artists and championing justice & mercy. Through our many ministries we seek to give young people the opportunity to say “yes” to God and impact the world through love and hospitality starting with our neighbors and reaching to the ends of the earth.
IS OUR CREATIVE JUSTICE DTS FOR YOU?
Our DTS is open to anyone; from those who have just gotten started with art, to seasoned painters, writers, and film producers!
Our Creative Justice DTS is right for you if you:
- Feel called to educate others about injustice through your art
- Want to impact the world through creativity
- Love to minister to the heart of God through art
- Are a painter
- Write stories, poetry, or songs
- Are interested in photography
- Have a passion for creativity in any medium
- Want to learn more about God through the lens of creativity and justice!
- "From the landscape, to the wildlife, to the people, this place is absolutely beautiful. There are constant reminders of how great of a creator God really is. Spending quiet time outside on the base is one of the greatest ways to sit and connect with Him. I don’t think I will ever stop being amazed by how beautiful the scenery is or how wonderful the people are. Even after two days of just orientation, guidelines, and ice-breakers I can tell that there is no place I’d rather do my DTS. All of the people here, both staff and students, have clearly come with such hunger and vulnerability and I can’t wait to see how God shows up among us. Also, the amount of pure talent here is crazy. There are some very gifted musicians, and I love getting to be a part in the random jam sessions and worship in our free time. This is a community that I feel so blessed to be in.”MarrisaOH, United States
- “As a Christian, I am acutely aware of the urgent needs around the world, and the reality that the worldwide cry for change can only be met through Jesus’ power and love. I spent many years of my life wanting to help make a difference, but not knowing where to start. On DTS, I discovered that I could make a difference, by using the gifts I had to channel God’s character. On outreach, I witnessed first-hand the power of mercy ministry, as my heart was set ablaze for all nations and people. I learnt that it all boils down to loving the ‘one’ right in front of you, and as I practically displayed the Gospel through caring for the sick, praying for people and building houses, it struck me that the Gospel can be communicated in many ways. My staff and fellow students were a great encouragement as I explored my gifts, and it was wonderful to be surrounded by people carrying a heart for different areas of society. Now on staff at YWAM Toowoomba, I am championing artists to do the same, continuing to love the ‘one’, and very grateful that I have an outlet here to pursue my passions.”NathanMercy and Music Company
- “DTS was incredible! God revealed a lot about Himself- and myself- to me and taught me how to be confident in things He has called me to. I learned to step out of my comfort zone and trust in Him for the rest. This time has definitely helped me to figure out what I can do to bring His good news to people; especially in ways that I didn’t think I could."JohnCA, United States