RAISING UP PROPHETS OF CULTURE
The Creative Justice DTS is a 5 month long program created to strengthen your relationship with God while finding purpose in the fields of Art & Justice. This school is open to all artists. Students with passions in music, dance, painting, fine arts, fashion, photography, or filmmaking will learn how to use these gifts for the kingdom. Also, there is no-prerequisite for this school. In other words, you don’t need to complete a ‘regular’ DTS in order to participate in this one.
Justice and Creativity go hand in hand. Creativity brings people together and speaks to our souls. It breaks down barriers and can bring healing to our world. At YWAM Toowoomba, we believe that God has placed creativity in everyone that is not to be silent in the face of injustice. Right here in Toowoomba, we have homelessness, poverty and prostitution on our doorstep. It’s important to us that we are a voice for the voiceless in our own city. Our hope as a community is to be a voice to people living in injustice both near and far. As a DTS, we hope to raise up young people eager to use their creativity to inspire change in their spheres of influence.
TO KNOW GOD AND MAKE HIM KNOWN
The core purpose of a Discipleship Training School is to help students gain an understanding about God and His ways. Our mission as YWAM is “To know God and make Him known”. DTS is an opportunity to say “yes” to these things in a deeper way.
We believe that God wants to raise up creative voices for justice in this generation. The Creative Justice School is tailored to focus on these areas throughout the 5 months. Overall, DTS will strengthen students faith, develop Christian character, identify unique gifts and equip students to share the love of God through creativity. Now, more than ever, it’s an incredible time to be an artist with a calling and a purpose!
WHAT TO EXPECT
LECTURE PHASE – KNOW GOD
The core of our movement is to KNOW GOD AND MAKE HIM KNOWN, and the lecture phase of DTS is designed to champion students to KNOW GOD. Each week is built around a specific lecture topic, where knowledgeable speakers are invited to share and teach from their experience with said topic. Lecture phase is 12 weeks long.
Lecture phase topics include:
- The Nature & Character of God
- The Father Heart of God
- Hearing God’s Voice
- The Lordship of Jesus
- Biblical Worldview
- Missions & Evangelism
- Holy Spirit and Spiritual Warfare
- Identity in Christ
Outside of the classroom students will be attending The Prayer Room, community worship sessions, bible study, specialised night lectures for creative justice, small groups, mentorship, and fellowship over meals.
SMALL GROUPS AND ONE-ON-ONE’S
During the lecture phase students are assigned to a small group where they will be able to process all that they are learning with their peers and leaders. Students will often make close friends as they share openly, supporting and encouraging one another through discussion and prayer.
Students will also be assigned a DTS staff member to be their mentor while on DTS, giving them access to one-on-one discipling sessions where they can share more personally, receive support, encouragement and prayer.
One of the natural results of living in community with a bunch of zealous Jesus followers, is forming new friendships. The nature of DTS is to be open and honest with one another – the natural outworking of this environment is encouragement, love, support and deep, genuine friendships.
OUTREACH PHASE — MAKE GOD KNOWN
We believe the one of the outcomes of knowing God is MAKING GOD KNOWN. Outreach phase of DTS is an intentional response to what the student has learned during lecture phase. Outreach DTS outreach phase is 8 weeks long, 2 of the weeks being locally in Toowoomba and 6 of the weeks being overseas.
Local outreach may look like:
- Busking in town
- Working with youth groups
- Evangelism in the city
- Visiting with refugee families
- Leading worship at churches
- Serving alongside the Mercy Campaign
- Helping run the Toowoomba Busking Festival
Overseas outreach may look like:
- Setting up & performing at music events or festivals
- Leading church services
- Sharing testimonies
- Doing practical work projects
- Street evangelism
- Prayer walks
- Serving youth ministries
- Teaching english classes
- Partnering with established mercy ministries
- Ministering to the poor and needy
- Caring for and playing with kids in orphanages
- House visits
OVERSEAS CULTURAL EXPERIENCES
Aside from ministry times, students will experience a whole new culture, make international friends, sample the local delicacies, experience the local sights and sounds and have a whole lot of fun as they journey with others on an overseas adventure. No matter where you end up going, outreach will be a time filled with memories you will be telling for years to come!
DATES & COST
The DATES for our upcoming Creative Justice Discipleship Training Schools are:
|School Intake||School Graduation|
|September 2021 (TBA)||February/March 2022 (TBA)|
|January 22nd, 2022||June 10th, 2022|
Please contact us to apply for intake dates beyond January 2022
The Cost for our upcoming Creative Justice DTS is:
The September 2021 DTS is Tuition Free!
|School Fees (Lecture Phase)||$AUD (Australian)||$USD (United States)|
|Tuition, Room, Board & Meals||$4,200||$3,192|
|Outreach Fees (Outreach Phase)|
|Local & Overseas Fees||$2,800-3,500*||$2,128-2,660*|
All School & Outreach fees are paid in Australia Dollars (AUD). USD has been included below as an estimate only (based on the USD rate 31th March, 2021). Please visit xe.com for the most current exchange rates.
*subject to airfare costs for overseas travel
Does not include travel costs to and from Toowoomba, visa, health insurance and immunisations.
Outreach fees cover the following:
- Transfers to & from Airports for Overseas Outreach
- Visa for your stay in your Overseas Outreach location
- All associated Airfares to your Overseas Outreach location
- All ground transport for Local & Overseas Outreach Phases
- Food & Accommodation for Local & Overseas Outreach Phases
IS CREATIVE JUSTICE FOR YOU?
YWAM’s Creative Justice Discipleship Training School is an experience of a lifetime. Make new friends... Travel the world... Encounter God in a new way... take part in missions... And find purpose as you minister with your art form.
Our DTS is open to anyone; from those who have just gotten started with art, to seasoned painters, writers, and film producers!
Our Creative Justice DTS is right for you if you:
- Feel called to educate others about injustice through your art
- Want to impact the world through creativity
- Love to minister to the heart of God through art
- Have a creative heart
- Write stories, poetry, or songs
- Are interested in photography
- Have a passion for creativity in any medium
- Want to learn more about God through the lens of creativity & justice!
- "From the landscape, to the wildlife, to the people, this place is absolutely beautiful. There are constant reminders of how great of a creator God really is. Spending quiet time outside on the base is one of the greatest ways to sit and connect with Him. I don’t think I will ever stop being amazed by how beautiful the scenery is or how wonderful the people are. Even after two days of just orientation, guidelines, and ice-breakers I can tell that there is no place I’d rather do my DTS. All of the people here, both staff and students, have clearly come with such hunger and vulnerability and I can’t wait to see how God shows up among us. Also, the amount of pure talent here is crazy. There are some very gifted musicians, and I love getting to be a part in the random jam sessions and worship in our free time. This is a community that I feel so blessed to be in.”MarrisaOH, United States
- “DTS was incredible! God revealed a lot about Himself- and myself- to me and taught me how to be confident in things He has called me to. I learned to step out of my comfort zone and trust in Him for the rest. This time has definitely helped me to figure out what I can do to bring His good news to people; especially in ways that I didn’t think I could."JohnCA, United States
- “As a Christian, I am acutely aware of the urgent needs around the world, and the reality that the worldwide cry for change can only be met through Jesus’ power and love. I spent many years of my life wanting to help make a difference, but not knowing where to start. On DTS, I discovered that I could make a difference, by using the gifts I had to channel God’s character. On outreach, I witnessed first-hand the power of mercy ministry, as my heart was set ablaze for all nations and people. I learnt that it all boils down to loving the ‘one’ right in front of you, and as I practically displayed the Gospel through caring for the sick, praying for people and building houses, it struck me that the Gospel can be communicated in many ways. My staff and fellow students were a great encouragement as I explored my gifts, and it was wonderful to be surrounded by people carrying a heart for different areas of society. Now on staff at YWAM Toowoomba, I am championing artists to do the same, continuing to love the ‘one’, and very grateful that I have an outlet here to pursue my passions.”NathanMercy and Music Company